With the help of Phillip Fulmer Etsu hires Former NC/LT head coach Carl Torbush

zaqhhh

Torbush, 61, retired from coaching in 2011 after more than 35 years with stops at Ole Miss, Louisiana Tech (head coach), North Carolina (head coach), Alabama, Texas A&M, Carson-Newman, Mississippi State and Kansas.

Torbush’s record as a head coach was 20-26 with two bowl victories.

School to officially announce hiring at 4 p.m Friday.

(Not sure which forum to put this in feel free to move if necessary)

Sounds like a good hire. Won't be there for a long time, but good to start building a foundation

. . . with stops at Ole Miss, Louisiana Tech (head coach), North Carolina (head coach), Alabama, Texas A&M, Carson-Newman, Mississippi State and Kansas.
Looks like he couldn't keep a job.

Seriously, it appears to be a good hire.

Why hire a guy that couldnt do anything with everything? Why not reach out to a successful HS coach with a hunger for winning? Tennessee has several great HS coaches that would do well.

While i'm not ecstatic about this hire i am not too mad i see him bringing better recruits than a hs coach

Reactions: 1 person
As badly as ETSU will get beaten up for the first few years, I think he's a very good hire. From all accounts, he's a legitimately good guy. While he may not win more than 2 games in any of his seasons at ETSU, I believe he will get the program headed in the right direction for whomever his successor may be.

He's a recognizable name. He gives more credibility to the "new" program. I think it's a pretty good hire. Probably best guy available. Phil did good work.

He's a recognizable name. He gives more credibility to the "new" program. I think it's a pretty good hire. Probably best guy available. Phil did good work.

Maybe so, but as far as name recognition goes I disagree. An old fogey in a new program spells zero excitement. I hope to be proven wrong.

From other reports I've read Randy Sanders may have been top choice but he turned it down.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Meh. Could have done better but not a horrible hire

Hopefully ETSU will be back in the Southern Conference someday soon. They along(I would think)with VMI have a good chance since Appalachian State and Georgia Southern are leaving for the Sunbelt Conference.

Hopefully ETSU will be back in the Southern Conference someday soon. They along(I would think)with VMI have a good chance since Appalachian State and Georgia Southern are leaving for the Sunbelt Conference.

Both Vmi and Etsu have already accepted invitations to join in addition to 1 more team

Other team is mercer

I think it was a mistake for GSU and App State to go the BCS division. I think ETSU and VMI will do well in the redrawn Southern Conference. Mercer will take a while to be competitive(Mercer never was Their highlight was beating Georgia Tech 14-13 in 1926).

I think it was a mistake for GSU and App State to go the BCS division. I think ETSU and VMI will do well in the redrawn Southern Conference. Mercer will take a while to be competitive(Mercer never was Their highlight was beating Georgia Tech 14-13 in 1926).

Given App state's recent successes i think they can do pretty well in a couple of years if they can sell the program properly.

Joker Phillips: Now WR Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Florida
Watson Brown: Head Coach at Tennessee Tech

Both probably making more $$$ than ETSU offering, and no headaches of starting team from scratch.

Not sold on the Torbush hire though. Paging...Houston Nutt? Would have also been nice to see Dale Jones, Kurt Roper, or Josh Heupel. Heard Lance Leipold from Wisconsin-Whitewater (4 National Titles) was a finalist.

Joker Phillips: Now WR Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Florida
Watson Brown: Head Coach at Tennessee Tech

Both probably making more $$$ than ETSU offering, and no headaches of starting team from scratch.

Not sold on the Torbush hire though. Paging...Houston Nutt? Would have also been nice to see Dale Jones, Kurt Roper, or Josh Heupel. Heard Lance Leipold from Wisconsin-Whitewater (4 National Titles) was a finalist.

Hal Mumme was available also

VN Store

Back