2513 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Manziel: The Party Animal Page 2. within the forum Around the NCAA. Originally Posted by therealUT I am going to read between the lines on this one. Manziel has drawn a lot ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Around the NCAA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vomit Free Since 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealUT View Post
I am going to read between the lines on this one. Manziel has drawn a lot of attention and has drawn a lot of questions regarding money. His partying and his carelessness in how he is accepting improper benefits (if he is accepting improper benefits) are both reckless. His partying will ultimately only affect him. If he gets in enough trouble, he is done at the college level. However, if he gets caught accepting improper benefits, aTm is screwed. I imagine that the President understands this and is not blind to the possibility that rich boosters might be helping out the football program.
his parents are loaded.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

Let me put this to bed as I did in another forum not too long ago.

Johnny Manziel is the "anti-Tebow". You've all grown accustomed to one or two ways today's student athletes are perceived. The most common is a rule breaking thug, who is boastful on and off the field and eventually gets caught with something illegal. Example "The Honey Badger".

Then there's stereotype #2. Far less prevalent, but certainly worthy enough for the same amount of scrutiny. This is the "Holier than thou" athlete who wears his emotions/religion/virginity on his sleeve. These types of players give motivational speeches that are plaque worthy. They are the kinda guy you want your daughter to marry mostly because you see no real threat from them character wise.

Johnny is neither. Quit trying to dig sh!t up on the kid. He's an extremely typical Texas kid who comes from money.

He'll beat your ass on the football field, then meet you and the boys afterwards at a pasture party to have few cold ones with his parent's consent because they'll be in attendance too. The next morning he'll probably wake up early to go shoot a 12 point, then head out to take his smokin hot arm candy out for a real nice steak dinner.

He's a typical Texas kid that does all the same stuff we all grew up doing, and he just so happens to be good at the game of football.

But folks like TMZ need a headline I suppose, and that's why Eric went to go see him and the folks. He's a target because there are vultures in society. Does he need to tap the brakes on twitter? Maybe. Does he have some folks out there that dislike him? Sure.

Has a broken a law or rule since the season started?

VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXA&M07 View Post

Johnny Manziel is the "anti-Tebow". You've all grown accustomed to one or two ways today's student athletes are perceived. The most common is a rule breaking thug, who is boastful on and off the field and eventually gets caught with something illegal. Example "The Honey Badger".

Then there's stereotype #2. Far less prevalent, but certainly worthy enough for the same amount of scrutiny. This is the "Holier than thou" athlete who wears his emotions/religion/virginity on his sleeve. These types of players give motivational speeches that are plaque worthy. They are the kinda guy you want your daughter to marry mostly because you see no real threat from them character wise.

Johnny is neither. Quit trying to dig sh!t up on the kid. He's an extremely typical Texas kid who comes from money.

He'll beat your ass on the football field, then meet you and the boys afterwards at a pasture party to have few cold ones with his parent's consent because they'll be in attendance too. The next morning he'll probably wake up early to go shoot a 12 point, then head out to take his smokin hot arm candy out for a real nice steak dinner.

He's a typical Texas kid that does all the same stuff we all grew up doing, and he just so happens to be good at the game of football.

But folks like TMZ need a headline I suppose, and that's why Eric went to go see him and the folks. He's a target because there are vultures in society. Does he need to tap the brakes on twitter? Maybe. Does he have some folks out there that dislike him? Sure.

This. Which, to me makes him a lot more likeable than tebow.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLouisVol View Post
He's 20 years old. Why is the AD talking to his parents?
He is 18?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXA&M07 View Post

Why would I write this retarded junk? He is a douche.....end of story. He think's he is a movie star. I can't wait for next year, so the defense can expose him for what he really is, a fraud.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
VFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol4life25 View Post
He is 18?
Date of birth: December 6, 1992 (age 20)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Doctorate in Volology

I believe that the proverbial take-home message from this story is being ignored, and it is a valid one: "From now on, everything that you do, for better or worse, will be exposed to intense media scrutiny, simply because you are a Heisman Trophy winner. Think before you act. Represent yourself, your family and your university well."

To me, it sounds like the athletic director is simply being proactive; he is trying to avoid a problem before one should arise.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Roll the dice....

Quote:
Why would I write this retarded junk? He is a douche.....end of story. He think's he is a movie star. I can't wait for next year, so the defense can expose him for what he really is, a fraud.
POTD

Congrats.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volosaurus rex View Post
I believe that the proverbial take-home message from this story is being ignored, and it is a valid one: "From now on, everything that you do, for better or worse, will be exposed to intense media scrutiny, simply because you are a Heisman Trophy winner. Think before you act. Represent yourself, your family and your university well."

To me, it sounds like the athletic director is simply being proactive; he is trying to avoid a problem before one should arise.
Good post

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
VFL

Quote:
and you know this how? just curious..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mythodical Validvictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLouisVol View Post
He's 20 years old. Why is the AD talking to his parents?
Correct me if I am wrong but Manziel can only drink legally in Texas if his parents are present since he is under 21. I believe they have a waiver on the 21 to drink law if parents are present.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

If Manziel actually improves from year to year or hell just produces similar to last year he will be heralded as the greatest college football player ever and it won't even be debatable.

Now having said that he needs to make his private life a little more private
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebjd View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but Manziel can only drink legally in Texas if his parents are present since he is under 21. I believe they have a waiver on the 21 to drink law if parents are present.
Assuming that law is in place in Texas, my point was that if Manziel chooses to ignore it, the consequences are his and his alone. Any influence his parents may have over him at this point are by his choice. He is responsible for his actions.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

How many people on this board could say if they were in his shoes wouldn't be doing the same thing???? Bunch of hypocrites!!! This guy is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame while he still has it. He's a young charismatic kid who's enjoying being a superstar. He's being your typical college kid. I don't blame him one bit for soaking this all in and enjoying life to the fullest. He just had one of the best college football seasons ever, won the Heisman and has single handidly put A&M back on the college football map. Enjoy it Johnny Heisman, I know I would
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
VN conasewer

15 minutes? You have no clue what being a star football player on a college campus means. The heisman just boosts that up a few points
Reply With Quote TOP