2950 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Thoughts on Kentucky. within the forum Around the NCAA. I watched most of Kentucky's game against Maryland. They are significantly less talented than last year's team. They will take ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Around the NCAA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Thoughts on Kentucky

I watched most of Kentucky's game against Maryland. They are significantly less talented than last year's team. They will take some lumps early in the season, but as much as most of us dislike Calipari, he will have them playing better by the time SEC play rolls around. I think Kentucky ends up as a 4/5 seed in the NCAAT. Here are my thoughts on their rotation, which lacks depth:

PG - Harrow - got into early foul trouble but did not look like an impact scorer; also looks very undersized

SG - Goodwin - he's the best scorer of the freshmen but plays out-of-control for the most part; his jump shot is inconsistent but he can be effective slashing to the basket and getting to the foul line; he'll be a good one

SF - Poythress - looked like he wasn't ready to play D-I basketball; was a step behind the pace and forced things; good athlete but he's unlikely to be much of an impact player this year

PF - Wiltjer - this kid impressed me and can stretch defenses with his ability to knock down the 3; he won't score a lot going to the basket but should get plenty of open looks in the dribble-drive offense; poor-man's Nick Novak

C - Noel - impressive defender but lacks any real offensive game; terrible free throw shooter; he's athletic enough to score double-digits but most of that will come on transition baskets of drop offs; there is no comparison to Anthony Davis

B - Cauley-Stein - looked better than Noel and could be the best freshman in UK's class; high-motor for a big and had an impact on the game; long and athletic

B - Polson/Mays - these guys played really well but these are the 2nd and 3rd guys off UK's bench; they are both undersized guards (Polson more of a 1 and Mays a 2/3); will likely be inconsistent
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
PROTECT YOUR NUTS!!!!!

Location: So Cal is where my mind stays...but it's not my state of mind.
I'm sorry who is on their team again...all these 1 and dones....can't keep up with which freshmen are there now

Kentucky Basketball's #1 rule to play there: You can not be older than 19 years of age.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Some Kinda Wonderful

I see them being a low 3/high 4 seed by the end of the sec tourney. They'll take some losses early but I have no doubt that they will peak going into the ncaa tourney.

Noel and Stein should be fun together, hopefully add a lot to the defensive side. Offensively they will struggle against other big guys.

I completely disagree with you on Poythress. He's going to struggle early (like most freshmen on this team) but he'll be an impact player come sec time.

I'm really hoping Mays turns into a Darius Miller like player, providing key shots and time off the bench during games.

Harrow needs to slow down and focus on passing the ball and facilitating the offense, he isn't a scorer. Goodwin needs to work on his shot and slow down as well.

Wjiter could go either way. He has great height and like you said, will get plenty of chances. Hopefully he can improve on defense otherwise he's not going to play as much as he could. Btw, you meant Steve Novak. Not Nick Novak.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed on Harrow. I understand that he's recovering from the flu, but it looks like he's made no real improvement from when he was at NC State.

Goodwin is probably UK's best player at this stage. His shooting ability doesn't look to be that great for his position, but he's quick and strong.

Wiltjer is a great shooter who contributes nothing else. He had a good game, but I'm not expecting his rebounding/blocking to be very good this season at all. Defensively he's a liability.

Poythress was underwhelming... He has the potential to be a beast though. He could be UK's best player by SEC play.

Noel is not Anthony Davis on either sides of the ball. He'll get pushed around by more physical bigs. His shot blocking totals could be higher than Davis', but in terms of position defense, he's nowhere close. Cauley-Stein looks athletic but raw.

When I think of "undersized guards," I think of sub-6 ft guards like Erving Walker. Not 6'2" guards like Polson and Mays, lol.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
twitter- CJSOUSA14

Dont be fooled. They wont be as good as last year. But Coach Cal will have them being a force come tourny time.. Their significantly more talented then everyone in the sec, expierence not there yet
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
I see them being a low 3/high 4 seed by the end of the sec tourney. They'll take some losses early but I have no doubt that they will peak going into the ncaa tourney.

Noel and Stein should be fun together, hopefully add a lot to the defensive side. Offensively they will struggle against other big guys.

I completely disagree with you on Poythress. He's going to struggle early (like most freshmen on this team) but he'll be an impact player come sec time.

I'm really hoping Mays turns into a Darius Miller like player, providing key shots and time off the bench during games.

Harrow needs to slow down and focus on passing the ball and facilitating the offense, he isn't a scorer. Goodwin needs to work on his shot and slow down as well.

Wjiter could go either way. He has great height and like you said, will get plenty of chances. Hopefully he can improve on defense otherwise he's not going to play as much as he could. Btw, you meant Steve Novak. Not Nick Novak.
Sorry, too much fantasy football lately.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTVolsfan14 View Post
Dont be fooled. They wont be as good as last year. But Coach Cal will have them being a force come tourny time.. Their significantly more talented then everyone in the sec, expierence not there yet
I disagree.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCIVol View Post
I watched most of Kentucky's game against Maryland. They are significantly less talented than last year's team. They will take some lumps early in the season, but as much as most of us dislike Calipari, he will have them playing better by the time SEC play rolls around. I think Kentucky ends up as a 4/5 seed in the NCAAT. Here are my thoughts on their rotation, which lacks depth:

PG - Harrow - got into early foul trouble but did not look like an impact scorer; also looks very undersized

SG - Goodwin - he's the best scorer of the freshmen but plays out-of-control for the most part; his jump shot is inconsistent but he can be effective slashing to the basket and getting to the foul line; he'll be a good one

SF - Poythress - looked like he wasn't ready to play D-I basketball; was a step behind the pace and forced things; good athlete but he's unlikely to be much of an impact player this year

PF - Wiltjer - this kid impressed me and can stretch defenses with his ability to knock down the 3; he won't score a lot going to the basket but should get plenty of open looks in the dribble-drive offense; poor-man's Nick Novak

C - Noel - impressive defender but lacks any real offensive game; terrible free throw shooter; he's athletic enough to score double-digits but most of that will come on transition baskets of drop offs; there is no comparison to Anthony Davis

B - Cauley-Stein - looked better than Noel and could be the best freshman in UK's class; high-motor for a big and had an impact on the game; long and athletic

B - Polson/Mays - these guys played really well but these are the 2nd and 3rd guys off UK's bench; they are both undersized guards (Polson more of a 1 and Mays a 2/3); will likely be inconsistent
I hope everyone is healthy when they come to Knoxville. I really think we can take them this year will be a joy to watch if it happens.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Some Kinda Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTVolsfan14 View Post
Their significantly more talented then everyone in the sec, expierence not there yet
Potentially, yes. Realistically, no.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I disagree.
Really? What other SEC teams have talent that even approaches Kentucky's?

Florida, possibly, but that's a stretch.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
Potentially, yes. Realistically, no.
Agreed. I think the talent for this basketball season is not up to the level of a lot of SEC teams. If Calipari can get this team to 25 regular season wins, he'll gain a ton of respect IMO. This is by far his worst team at UK.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisCanes View Post
Really? What other SEC teams have talent that even approaches Kentucky's?

Florida, possibly, but that's a stretch.
I think people look at it as projected talent. Of course UK's roster has more NBA-caliber players, but that potential will not be realized until a few years from now.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

The UK/Duke game will be telling.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Every freshmen has some type of learning curve. I expect Poythress to be a big contributor by season's end. He was a guy I wish we could have gotten in on. He won't play that bad all year.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Calipari didn't reload to the level he has in the past. In addition, he has no upperclassmen like Miller or Liggins to come off the bench and provide quality minutes. Those two guys were under-appreciated and could play excellent defense.
Reply With Quote TOP