713 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Thoughts on Kentucky Page 3. within the forum Around the NCAA. Originally Posted by UK101 According to the past 3 years that's doubtful. We'll be top 3 in the SEC without ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Around the NCAA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK101 View Post
According to the past 3 years that's doubtful. We'll be top 3 in the SEC without a doubt and probably top 10 team. Of course im somewhat of a homer but im sure some would agree. We'll be more than capable of getting to the final four given the right road. That's what comes down to a lot of teams getting to the final four. UT will be more than capable. All depends on how the NCAA makes the brackets.

Regardless, most UK fans view this season as a "bridge year". 2010-11 season for an example. Some guys will go pro and the ones who don't will add depth and experience to our monster 2013 class.
This team's roster is so much worse than any roster Calipari has had at UK. My concern as a UK fan would be who is going to score?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Ok...just looked at UK's nonconference schedule and it's really weak outside of four games. They'll lose 3 of those and likely 5 to 6 SEC games. So 8 to 9 losses.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCIVol View Post
I think they'll have 10 or more regular season losses.
I really don't see that, but agree to disagree. I concede they are Cal's least experienced and probably least talented team, if you can call it that. They still have more raw talent in their top 7 than 99% of the rest.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
women's pet..men's regret

Quote:
Ok...just looked at UK's nonconference schedule and it's really weak outside of four games. They'll lose 3 of those and likely 5 to 6 SEC games. So 8 to 9 losses.
I guess the 3 or so regulars didn't want this in their bb forum. Anyway, I agree this is the worst UK team Cal has had since he has been there. They have a ways to go before they are cohesive at all but 8 loses is max. They should be favored in every game this year but maybe 2-3. But you never know, these cats may not gel at all.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa136761 View Post
I guess the 3 or so regulars didn't want this in their bb forum. Anyway, I agree this is the worst UK team Cal has had since he has been there. They have a ways to go before they are cohesive at all but 8 loses is max. They should be favored in every game this year but maybe 2-3. But you never know, these cats may not gel at all.
Actually, the majority of us regulars would just as soon have this left in the basketball forum as it relates to our basketball team as well. Mods see fit to move it though.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
WWDDD?

Quote:
The UK/Duke game will be telling.
Dook will win tomorrow due to inexperience, but it will be a good experience for March.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
women's pet..men's regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McCat View Post
Dook will win tomorrow due to inexperience, but it will be a good experience for March.
Neither team has good guard play right now and I would have to give the edge to duke down low. Will def miss upperclassmen like liggins and miller.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa136761 View Post
Neither team has good guard play right now and I would have to give the edge to duke down low. Will def miss upperclassmen like liggins and miller.
Veterans like Miller and Liggins are so underrated because they play tough defense, are quality shooters, and don't require a high volume of shots. So much of basketball is chemistry. UK is going to struggle to find it this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
VNFL

Quote:
Agreed. I think the talent for this basketball season is not up to the level of a lot of SEC teams. If Calipari can get this team to 25 regular season wins, he'll gain a ton of respect IMO. This is by far his worst team at UK.
3 top 15 recruits including number 1...talent is down by UK standards but not by SEC standards
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McCat View Post
That's my thoughts too. A 10-12 pt loss tonight would not surprise me
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #41 (permalink)
WWDDD?

Mays is the grandpa on this squad. Even tho he's a transfer, he's already a leader getting the kids to work together. He very much will step into that Darius Miller role. Polson is a Jr, and from indications will get some PT.

Reports of KY's demise are greatly exaggerated. The first game is just that....don't expect anyone to be in March form. Harrow had the flu and did not play up to expectations vs. Maryland. It's reported that he won't make the trip to Atlanta either. But he'll be fine, and will come along as the season goes by.

GBB.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Veterans like Miller and Liggins are so underrated because they play tough defense, are quality shooters, and don't require a high volume of shots. So much of basketball is chemistry. UK is going to struggle to find it early this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Fyp
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
all the bacon u have

I would be very careful to dismiss the team so early - imo KY will win the SEC and end up with about 6-8 losses - they will be a 2 seed and make a deep tourney run again

the team just needs to gel and they have plenty of pieces that can start to come together for a really good run

people discount Cal as a coach but his teams really get better through the year so I see this team having a lot of upside
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
all the bacon u have

Quote:
This team's roster is so much worse than any roster Calipari has had at UK. My concern as a UK fan would be who is going to score?
I don't see that much of a disparity in this team and the 2011 final four team
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #45 (permalink)
the.oci.vol@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes_of_maggard View Post
3 top 15 recruits including number 1...talent is down by UK standards but not by SEC standards
I'm not saying these kids won't be good, just that they are not on the level of the past classes Calipari has brought in at UK and Memphis. I see no dominant PG on this team. Cal's teams always have a dominant PG. Each of the 3 top-15 freshmen have significant deficiencies in their respective games right now. Noel has no offensive game. Goodwin struggles shooting the ball, and Poythress lacks confidence and seems to be a step behind the play.

I think people are mistaking talent for performance this year.
Reply With Quote TOP