Who says college football are paid

This is one of the main reasons I don't understand this whole player stipend deal that people seem to be pushing. Athletes are already getting money they need, MUCH more than regular students. The only way a regular student gets money out of going to school is if they have very high grades and get more scholarship money than tuition, room, and books cost. Meanwhile, the majority of these athletes are getting paid while they take the bare minimum number of hours every semester and just get by with a 2.5 GPA that was aided by a bunch of tutors 'helping' them with homework. Oh, and if their team goes to a bowl game, they get another check that is meant to cover living expenses from the time the fall semester ends until the bowl game. And by that time, they are getting another check to cover expenses for the spring semester. To me, hearing fans or players complain about players not having any money is ridiculous.

This is one of the main reasons I don't understand this whole player stipend deal that people seem to be pushing. Athletes are already getting money they need, MUCH more than regular students. The only way a regular student gets money out of going to school is if they have very high grades and get more scholarship money than tuition, room, and books cost. Meanwhile, the majority of these athletes are getting paid while they take the bare minimum number of hours every semester and just get by with a 2.5 GPA that was aided by a bunch of tutors 'helping' them with homework. Oh, and if their team goes to a bowl game, they get another check that is meant to cover living expenses from the time the fall semester ends until the bowl game. And by that time, they are getting another check to cover expenses for the spring semester. To me, hearing fans or players complain about players not having any money is ridiculous.

no doubt.

It sickens me to know that footballs are getting paid while the school's athletes are the ones risking injury.

Iirc, that money is provided so athletes can pay for off-campus housing. USCe probably has to give their kids more because they stay in the 4* hotels talked about last season. :hi:

Side note. The pell grant is a need base grant (for student who's family cannot contribute to their education) so not every football player will recurve this grant.

Also the writer doesn't mention that most of these come as a lump sum (not monthly payment). So these athletes more often than not spend all that money pretty quick then don't have any left near the end of the semester.

Granted they should be responsible enough to ration there money but most of these are 18 and 19 year old kids who have never had this amount of money. I was the same way when I started college and had gotten my pell grant. I couldn't spend the excess money after paying tuition fast enough.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Side note. The pell grant is a need base grant (for student who's family cannot contribute to their education) so not every football player will recurve this grant.

Also the writer doesn't mention that most of these come as a lump sum (not monthly payment). So these athletes more often than not spend all that money pretty quick then don't have any left near the end of the semester.

Granted they should be responsible enough to ration there money but most of these are 18 and 19 year old kids who have never had this amount of money. I was the same way when I started college and had gotten my pell grant. I couldn't spend the excess money after paying tuition fast enough.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That sounds like a personal problem and would be a horrible justification to pay players.

I know my wifes situation was a little different because she was able to get hope grant plus another grant on top of her scholarship but she racked up each semester on money. She got around 5k extra each semester while she had the hope and whatever the other grant was. She was able to pay for her masters degree with the money she saved.

VN Store

Back